Friday, February 22, 2008

IT'S COLD AND IT'S DAMP

Do you recall the Frank Sinatra song, That's why the Lady is a tramp? The line about California being cold and damp never rang true to me. Now I know what this means. The winter in Southern California is very similar to spring in New England. It has been gray, damp and chilly for about a week now with quick glimpses of the sun and slits of blue sky. The forecast is for more of the same until the weekend passes. All of the flower beds have primrose and pansies happily planted. It has almost been a year since being transplanted here. My roots are still trying to take hold of this unfamiliar soil. The Susi is great here. Other fish like cod or haddock are rare and not the same as Cape Cod caught. The wines are amazing and reasonable. Oh one other perk... ripe avocado whenever the urge for casual guacamole.

2 comments:

Nicole Charbonneau White said...

After you've been here a few years, you find damp days to be sort of refreshing. I used to miss fresh cod, but now I enjoy Ahi Tuna instead. Mmmmmmmm.

Susan said...

It is cold and damp in North Carolina It is covered in snow up north in Massachusetts. I miss the snow. However, I do not miss that bone aching cold.